Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Before Dawn

Those of you who are fortunate enough to live in the country like I do can certainly appreciate this post, short and sweet as it will be.  And for those of you who live in the city, as I once did, I hope you can find a way to experience this at least once.  

My early morning fire
Today, I woke up before dawn, as I normally do, and took care of early morning chores--feed the cats, start a fire, and make the first pot of coffee.  It's a routine we have here that doesn't often vary.  I find routines very comforting. Then, usually, I will pull my rocking chair up close to the fire, drink a cup of coffee, and wait for the rest of the household to be up and about the business of the day.  This morning, though, I decided to step out on the back porch instead.  

How beautiful!  A very cold and still 24 degrees greeted me, and the quarter moon sky was bright and clear with a million stars shining. I could hear the creek water running softly over a bed of rocks, and in the distance the sound of an old barn owl hoo-hooing.  Nature is so awesome in it's simplicity, and I am so fortunate. 

***

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Deb. So glad you're following the blog. How are the girls? Sad & disappointing that you had to give them up, but happy you found such a great place for them and that you will still get to see them. Your blog was VERY entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Gwen! You painted a beautiful picture in my mind with your words. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammie....Thank you so much. Appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete