Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Finally......Spring is in the Air!

“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.”  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Front porch of the little house at Yellow Creek Farm
I ran across this picture recently of our front porch, freshly painted, purple pansy pots hung, and the first day lilies of the season beginning to bloom.  I've had a severe case of cabin/spring fever lately, and this photo made me really anxious to get outside, clean up flower and vegetable beds, and be done with all this dead, brown grass of winter.

Young daffodil shoots peeking through.
I know it's still early, but already I can feel something in the air.  Just yesterday I noticed that my miniature daffodils and hyacinths are starting to peek their little green heads up through last year's dreary pine straw mulch.  This year I will finally have to divide huge clumps of wild gladiolas and day lilies.  The monkey grass has started to multiply, too, and I suspect that some of it could benefit by my helping it to spread roots in a new spot.

Luke helping himself to a drink.
Our 12-1/2 cats enjoy the flower beds immensely.  During the heat of a long, hot Southern summer, the lush foliage of the lilies provide a cool spot for them to sleep away lazy afternoons.  Not to mention providing wonderful mazes for chasing down chipmunks and field mice, which they lovingly deposit on our front door mat!

Yellow Creek in late winter.
I stepped out on the back porch this morning to check on the water level in the creek.  Yes, it's up and running, as it always is this time of year due to the storms and heavy rains that come our way.  The creek runs along the back of our house at the bottom of a steep hill.  From the porch, I can see through the towering old oaks and pines that line the creek bank.  Soon the oaks will be greening up, and nature will provide me with a beautiful "painting" through my back kitchen window.  Another season is evolving here at Yellow Creek Farm, and I always feel a stirring inside.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment